Studio InformationGetting Started
Private Studio Lessons with Jane
Contact Jane to inquire about private voice lessons or vocal coaching. Students take weekly lessons for either 30, 45 or 60 minutes.
All lessons are online due to the coronavirus pandemic, using either FaceTime, Skype, or Zoom. Other technologies will be considered as they become available, such as the peer-to-peer application LiveLab, JitsiMeet and Cleanfeed. Most students will need to improve their microphone, use headphones or earbuds to avoid feedback, and if possible, use direct a connection to their routers for the best quality and to improve latency.
When a voice student schedules a private lesson, they are making a commitment to attend those lessons on the arranged day and time throughout that month. Lessons are taken weekly, and paid for in advance on the first lesson of the month, which guarantees your lesson slot and encourages consistent instruction.
SEPTEMBER – MAY
Tuition is paid monthly and is due on the first of the month. Please note: If your payment is not received by the 10th of the month, you will receive an invoice including an additional charge of $20 for late payment.
30-minute lesson: $135/month
45-minute lesson: $200/month
60-minute lesson: $270/month
24 Hours’ Notice You may reschedule a lesson if you give at least 24 hours’ notice of cancellation and complete the make up as soon as possible; preferably within 2 weeks of the cancelled lesson.
Lessons cancelled under 24 hours’ notice cannot be made up.
Online Technology Challenges You may reschedule a lesson with less than 24 hours’ notice if you have a technology related problem such as a power outage, loss of internet access, or broken equipment. Zoom, Skype or FaceTime are good back ups if you cannot connect through Jitsi, Cleanfeed or LiveLab, since most of them are available on smartphones. Please consider these alternative options before cancelling.
In the event of teacher cancellation, the student can request either a credit, a refund, or can make up the lesson if there is an available time slot.
Stopping or Suspending Lessons
If you stop or suspend lessons before the semester has ended, current or former monthly tuition cannot be refunded or credited on a pro-rated basis.
Expectations, Practicing & Supplies
Online Lesson Setup and Preparation
- Microphones. For those who are still using internal or earbud/headphone microphones, please understand that they are not always the best means for capturing the sounds of the singing voice. A better microphone produces a truer vocal sound and allows me to teach more effectively. If your phone, earbud/headphone, or computer microphone cannot handle the demands of your singing voice, you should consider adding an external microphone to your online lesson setup.
- Lesson Space. Students should try to find a space in their home that allows them to stand with good posture during their lesson. They should have something to place their music on that allows them to view it without lowering their head or chin, and an inexpensive music stand would suffice.
- Lesson Preparation. Students should warm up their voice before their lessons, have their music ready and have learned the notes if they are working on a song. Warm up exercises are available at VocalFitnessTraining.com
- Students are expected to practice vocal exercises a minimum of 15-20 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
- As a student progresses, or depending on their ability, that amount of practicing will likely increase to 30 minutes or more. This is easily accomplished by using the Practice Plans found at VocalFitnessTraining.com.
- Students should continue to practice exercises even if they are learning songs, so they will continue to improve their vocal technique.
Sheet Music and Supplies
- All students are responsible for purchasing their own music. All students should expect to invest in and begin building a music library of songs and song collections.
- Students training in the musical theater genre will create and maintain an audition or repertoire book.
- New students will need to purchase a copy of the Student Edition of Sing! Vocal Theory and Exercise Instructions, available at the Amazon bookstore.
When the Studio is Full
During peak seasons (fall and winter semesters), availability can become more limited, and it can cause scheduling challenges. When that happens, prospective students are put on a waiting list.